- This event has passed.
South Florida Sunset Challenge
December 19, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
We are excited to once again host the South Florida Sunset Challenge. The event will be held on Saturday December 19, 2020 at John Prince Park. There are three event options available: 5K Run/Walk, 10K Cycling (entire cycling course is on paved path), and Duathlon (5K Run / 10K Cycling). New to the event on December 19, 2020 is each event will participate with their fellow event competitors only. The Duathlon will be held on Saturday December 19 at 2:30pm, the 5K Run/Walk will be held at 4:15pm, and the 10K Cycling will begin at 12:45pm. This will allow each event to have 100% attention and focus from the event, spectators, and fellow competitors.
The South Florida Sunset Challenge has a platform for the elite, novice and beginners to experience a 5K Run, 10K Cycling, or Duathlon. The event is also a great break from the common 7:00am morning event and takes advantage of the beautiful South Florida weather. We will end the South Florida Sunset Challenge as the sun sets on John Prince Park. All participants will receive a dri-fit shirt, custom finisher medal, and personalized race certificate. All events will be chip timed and podium presented to the top three in each age group.
A portion of the event proceeds will benefit The Humane Society of Broward County.
Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (954) 822-2777.
We look forward to seeing you on December 19, 2020 at John Prince Park.
THURSDAY December 17, 2020: Pre-Race Packet Pickup
Packet Pickup – Fit 2 Run (Wellington) – 11:00am to 2:00pm
10300 W Forest Hill Blvd, Wellington FL, 33414
Packet Pickup – Runners Depot Coral Springs – 3:30pm to 6:30pm
5679 Coral Ridge Drive, Coral Springs FL, 33076
SATURDAY December 19, 2020: John Prince Park – Schedule of Events
11:30am: Packet Pickup Open (Race Day Registration is only available online. No in-person registration available. Please note athletes who register on raceday are not guaranteed an event shirt)
12:25pm: National Anthem & Announcements
12:30pm: Start 10K Cycling
1:30pm: Cycling Awards
2:15pm: Start Duathlon (FORMAT 5K RUN – 10K CYCLING)
3:45pm: Duathlon Awards
4:15pm: Start 5K Run/Walk
5:15pm: 5K Run/Walk Awards
5:35pm: Beautiful South Florida Sunset
Our goal is to host a fun, competitive, and excited South Florida Sunset Challenge and put together an event that will bring joy, happiness, and memories to so many. Through all the fun and enjoyment our #1 focus is the safety of staff, volunteers, and participants. We have worked directly with several municipalities to ensure we are providing a safe environment and following all CDC COVID-19 protocols. The following is our South Florida Sunset Challenge COVID-19 race protocols:
– Masks must be worn at all time EXCEPT when on the race course. Once you are at the start/finish line you may remove your mask. You must carry your mask with you at all times. Once you cross the finish line and have completed the race, you must put your mask on.
– All event registration must be completed through our event website. You may register on race day but must do so through your computer, tablet, or phone. There will be no in person race day registration available on site. Participants must register 30 minutes prior to the start of their event.
– We will host pre-race packet pickups. Please click on the locations above to see the pre-race packet pickup time and dates. We encourage everyone to utilize pre-race packet pickup to limit large gatherings on race day.
– We will have packet pickup available on race day. We will have a packet pickup table, with plexiglass dividers, available. We will not allow large lines at packet pickup, to follow the social distancing guidelines, so provide yourself with plenty of time in case the line is long and there is a long wait.
– We will implement a rolling start for all three events. We will have 4-6 participants starting every 10 seconds. We will line everyone in position (proper spacing for social distance start) for the rolling start. Be ready to start at the time of your event (12:15pm 10K Cycling; 2:15pm Duathlon; 4:15pm 5K Run) as the rolling start will move quickly.
– Please wear your mask until the start of your race. You are not required to wear your mask while on the course. You will need to carry the mask at all time, even when on the course. Once you have completed the race, and crossed the finish line, you will be required to place your mask on.
– Water stations will NOT be available on course but will be available at the completion of the race. We will have a water station available past the finish line with bottled water. Please plan accordingly if you need on course water.
-Helmets are required for all cyclist.
– Awards ceremony area is permitted for only those who have finished in the top 3 overall or top 3 of their age group. You may watch the awards from a location outside the awards ceremony and standing 6′ away from others.
YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO ATTEND IF
– You have a fever
– You have any symptoms of illness
– You currently have COVID symptoms or have had symptoms in the last 14 days
– You have tested positive within the last 14 days
– You have been exposed within 10 days and have not had two negative test since. Exposed is defined as being within 6 feet of a COVID-19 positive person or one who becomes positive, for 15 minutes
We know these are unique and challenging times for everyone. We are all doing our part to ensure a sense of “normal” while following safety guidelines to help put an end to COVID-19. Your support and participations is greatly appreciated and we hope the event will provide you with happiness along with a sense of achievement. We look forward to seeing you at the upcoming (safe) event!
– Make sure your bike is tuned up. Consult with a local bike shop for proper maintenance.
– Label all your gear with a unique marking. Include your name, phone number on any items belonging to you
– Make a race day checklist (i.e. bike, helmet, watch, biking shoes, running shoes, bib with timing tag, gloves, etc)
– Get a good nights sleep the day before
– Avoid using new for the first time on race day
– Study the course so you know what to expect.
Morning of the Race
– Eat: eat the same foods your body is used to eating and eat at least 2 hours before the start of the race so your food can digest. Oatmeal, pasta, baked potatoes, pancakes and muffins are a good option. A beverage high in carbohydrates is a good alternative if you have problems with eating and digesting foods before a race.
– Clothing: Make sure you check and prepare for the weather on race day. Plan accordingly.
– Get familiar with the transition area and be sure your gear is setup efficiently. This will help ensure a quick transition between the run and cycling. Choose a location in the transition area that you feel most comfortable with and feel you will be able to transition from running to cycling safely.
– Check your bikes tire pressure.
– attached your race bib to your chest using all four safety pin holes, making sure it is securely attached to your shirt.
– Stay warn and hydrated
10K Cycling Tips:
– While riding with other cyclist, remember to stay to the right until you want to pass.
– Warn “on your left” when you are about to pass, then pass quickly and get in front of that cyclist.
– When being passed, stay to the right and let the cyclist pass you.
– If you are in a section with on coming cyclist, DO NOT pass unless it is safe.
– Watch the road. Besides normal road hazards, watch for water bottles that may have accidentally been dropped.
5K Running Tips:
– Try to relax and settle into a pace.
– Keep hydrated as you go.
– Stay focused
– Watch for on course traffic, as in other runners
– Smile and prepare yourself for the finish line picture!
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Q&A)
Q: Where is the South Florida Sunset Challenge 2020 being hosted?
A: John Prince Park: 2700 6th Ave South, Lake Worth FL, 33461 (Center Drive Pavilion)
Q: Where should I park my car for the event?
A: Follow the park signs to Center Drive Pavilion and use the large parking lot nearest to the pavilion.
Q: What are the COVID-19 protocols for the event?
A: Safety is our #1 focus. We have worked with Palm Beach County to ensure the highest level of COVID safety for our staff, volunteers, and athletes. Please see above as to the COVID-19 protocols that are in place for the event.
Q: Am I required to wear a mask at the event?
A: You will be required to wear your mask at all time (except when on the course during your event). Staff and volunteers will enforce this policy. Please wear your mask when not on the course.
Q: What platform will be used for the race start?
A: We will use a rolling start, where 4 athletes will start every 10 seconds. We will have staging areas for athletes to get in line. Our staff will organize the groups and keep everything flowing towards the start line. We will announce when each group will start.
Q: Can I wear headphones during the event?
A: During the run/walk 5K you are permitted to wear headphones. During the 10K cycling headphone will not be permitted. Since the 5K run/walk is on park paths (not on roads) it is safe to wear headphones. I portion of the 10K cycling is on park roads (with cars) and it is important that all cyclist have full awareness to their surroundings.
Q: Where can I find the course map?
A: Above you will find the 10K cycling and 5K run course map. We have a dedicated course for the 10K cycling and 5K running. Cyclist and runners will not be on the same course.
Q: What is the format for the duathlon?
A: The duathlon will start with a 5K run then directly into the 10K cycling. We will use a rolling start for the 5K run (4 runners every 10 seconds).
Q: Am I required to wear a helmet when cycling?
Q: When will awards be presented?
A: Please see the schedule above for the entire event schedule. We will announce the podium finishers (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) and have them stand on the appropriate podium. We will email you a digital award for your accomplishment. We are focused on touchless awards ceremony.
Q: What is included in the participant race packet?
A: Each participant will receive a personalized race bib (with their name, if they register by December 16th), dri-fit Sunset Challenge shirt, finisher medal, and personalized race completion certificate.
Q: Is there a pre-race packet pickup?
A: We have two options available for pre-race packet pick up.
Option 1: Thursday December 17th 11:00am – 2:00pm at Fit 2 Run (Wellington) 10300 W Forest Hill Blvd Wellington, FL 33414
Option 2: Thursday December 17th 3:30pm – 6:30pm at Runner’s Depot (Coral Springs) 5679 Coral Ridge Drive Coral Springs, FL 33076
*Please note you temperature will be taken when you pickup your packet as part of the COVID-19 protocols.
Q: Can I register on race day?
A: We will not have a race day registration area available but you can register via your computer, phone, or tablet on race day. Registration will close 30 minutes prior to the start of the event. Please note that race day registrants are not guaranteed event shirts.
Q: Can I pickup my race packet on race day?
A: Yes, please arrive early if you intend to pickup you packet on race day. We will have a packet pickup station available on race day. We will limit the amount of people in line at any given time. Please note we will take your temperature when picking up your packet as part of the COVID-19 protocols.